Friday, November 15, 2013

National Novel Writing Month

I know I haven't been around much in the past two weeks. Allow me to explain that I have been writing; it is writing of a different kind. November is National Novel Writing Month, or most would recognize it as NaNoWriMo. I consider it to be a brilliant means for accountability. The challenge: to write 50,000 words in thirty days. Granted, it doesn't allow much free time. However, it gets the novel finished.

Today's day and age is filled with distractions: Television, YouTube, Facebook, etc. It is more difficult than ever to sit down at one's computer with out rabbit trailing into ten different website and accomplishing no writing in the process.

How can we ensure pure focus short of purchasing a typewriter? One piece of advice I have for you. Set the NaNoWriMo website as your browser's home page. That way when you log on to waste time on the internet, you will face an immediate reminder. You should be writing!

In the past fifteen days I have encountered a lot of ignorant questions about the challenge. So, allow me to clear up the confusion with the following facts:
  1. NaNoWriMo is 100% free.
  2. NaNoWriMo is NOT a contest or competition.
  3. NaNoWriMo is NOT a editing or critiquing service.
  4. NaNoWriMo is NOT a publisher.
  5. NaNoWriMo only sends motivational messages to your email.
  6. NaNoWriMo provides motivation to write. That is all.

All you need to do is create an account with your name, email, and the title of your novel. Starting November 1st, you begin to write. As an aspiring novelist of many years, I know how hard it is to buckle pdown and focus. My last participation in NaNoWriMo motivated me to write more in one month than I had in a year. I hope that this month I will work hard enough to finish my novel for good. 

I might not be where I am without NaNoWriMo. It is a blessing to all writers. If you know a writer, then spread the word. To my fellow writer, join me next year. And good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment