Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Government Shutdown

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do no depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." (NLT)

Today was the first day of the Government Shutdown. I have to admit I'm disappointed that this happened. I prayed every second until midnight that it wouldn't. Now that it has, I pray that a logical decision is made as quickly as possible, and that the decision is made with the American people's interests in mind. My prayers also go out to the workers who will not receive an income during this shutdown.

I am fortunate. I work for a private company with a military contract. Even though my job is secure, I notice a severe decline in business today. Many of my customers walked in this morning wanting their orders early, because they wouldn't even be able to return to base until after furlough ends. This has been the second furlough on base in the past three months. Every time a furlough occurs, businesses suffer as well as people's livelihoods.

I cannot offer much comfort or promises in these increasingly difficult times. I will not attempt to predict the future welfare of our country. I refuse to blame any man or political house for our current state. All I feel compelled to do at this moment is to remind you to turn your troubles to the Lord. There is no task too large or too small for Him. Give Him complete control.

For, it says in Philippians 4, "And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus." (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment